Piloted in 2010, Family Reading Breaks are a fun-filled hour in which children and parents enjoy books and activities together. Family Reading Breaks are a great way for schools, family learning tutors, libraries, children’s centres and breakfast clubs to encourage children – and adults – to develop a shared interest in reading and learning together, and build on current family learning initiatives that your school may be running.
On World Book Day, 1 March 2012, we are inviting breakfast clubs and schools across the country to bring parents and children together for the biggest family reading activity ever!
How to join in
- Download a free Family Reading Break toolkit from here
- Order a Family Reading Break pack of books, posters and bookmarks
- Announce that you will be running your Family Reading Break to children and parents
- Run book quizzes, competitions and swaps! See the site for lots of great ideas!
- Encourage parents to take their child to a bookshop after school to swap their £1 book token for a £1 World Book Day book and to pick up a Quick Read for themselves!