December’s Book Club Snack Recipe
Windrush Child by Benjamin Zephaniah
Benjamin told us that the snack he would most like to accompany his book is a large slice of vegan chocolate coffee cake. If you would like to try it, the recipe is below – make sure you work with an adult when you are using the oven or the hob.
Vegan Chocolate Coffee Cake
You will need:
- A bowl
- A jug
- A spoon
- 2 x 20cm cake tins
- Baking paper
- A cooling rack
Ingredients for the cake:
- 150g dairy free spread
- 250ml dairy free milk – we used oat milk
- 50ml coffee
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 300g self raising flour
- 200g caster sugar
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
Ingredients for the icing:
- 100g dairy free chocolate
- 200g dairy free spread
- 400g icing sugar
- 5 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp coffee
- Heat the oven to 190c/gas mark 5
- Grease the tins and line with the baking paper – put them to one side
- Put the milk and coffee into a jug, add the vinegar – don’t worry if this splits.
- Put all the other cake ingredients into a bowl and mix
- Add the liquid and keep mixing until the mixture is smooth.
- Divide the mixture equally between the two tins.
- Divide the mixture equally between the two tins and put into the oven.
- They take about 25-30 minutes. You can test if they are ready by putting a skewer in the middle and checking it comes out cleanly.
- When they are done, leave in their tins for 10 minutes and then turn out onto a rack to finish cooling completely.
|Make the icing:
- Melt the chocolate – if you have a microwave put it in a microwave safe bowl and give it 30 seconds at a time, stir after each turn and continue until melted. If you don’t have a microwave put the chocolate in a bowl above a pan of boiling water and stir continuously until it has all melted. Leave it to cool for 5 minutes.
- Mix the spread and icing sugar together with a spoon and then add the cocoa powder.
- Pour in the chocolate, milk and coffee and mix until smooth
- Use half the icing to sandwich the cakes together then put the rest on the top and smooth down the sides.
- Decorate with fruit or sweets
World Book Day® is a charity sponsored by National Book Tokens.