Every year we’re delighted that so many brilliant authors and illustrators support the work of World Book Day and more recently, our Share A Story campaign. It couldn’t happen without you! If you’d like to get involved in the biggest celebration of books and reading for pleasure then read on for ideas, useful information and resources to help you take part.
WORLD BOOK DAY – A READING REVOLUTION:
- Our mission is to offer every child and young person in the UK and Ireland the opportunity to read, love books and discover the power of reading for pleasure, by providing them with a book of their own.
- For 1 in 4 children in the UK, the book they choose with their £1 World Book Day token is the first book they own (this rises to 1 in 3 amongst children receiving free school meals). National Literacy Trust Annual Literacy Survey, 2016
- During World Book Day month, children and young people are encouraged to visit their local bookshop to exchange their £1 (€1.50) token for one of twelve free books or to get £1 off any book or audiobook (costing £2.99 or €3.99 or more).
WHAT IS OUR SHARE A STORY CAMPAIGN?
- Sharing stories any time from breakfast till bedtime, for just 10 minutes a day, will have a lasting impact on every child’s future.
- Reading for pleasure is the single biggest indicator of a child’s future success – more than their family circumstances, more than parents’ educational background or their income.
The Organisation for Economic Co-operation & Development
- Reading for pleasure is in decline: only 29% of 0-13s read for pleasure daily (down from 30% in 2017). Children’s Reading for Pleasure: Trends and Challenges, Egmont, 2019
- The number of parents sharing stories with their children is also in steep decline: only 56% of 3-4-year-olds are read to daily or nearly every day (69% in 2013).
Understanding the Children’s Book Consumer Nielsen, 2018
HOW CAN I GET INVOLVED?
SHARE, SHARE, SHARE
- Join the #ShareAStory social campaign! Show your Twitter and Instagram followers when you’re sharing stories, what you’re sharing – and with who!
- Share your favourite stories – from 27 February, create a list or photo of your favourite 5 stories to share to put out on social media, and tag a school, bookshop, library or individual and ask them to do the same. Let’s get those reading recommendations going! Suggested tweets can be found in the Toolkit for Authors/Illustrators
Remember that you need written permission to share photos of children.
SHARE A STORY RESOURCES
Don’t miss our fantastic selection of assets and ideas to inspire your #ShareAStory celebrations, including tips, quizzes and activities around the joy of reading. Download Share A Story resources.
To tell us what you’re doing email [email protected]. We would love to hear from you.