In the UK, up to 500,000 children (1 in 15) don’t have a book of their own. This goes up to 1 in 10 for children receiving free school meals. Having access to books and developing a love of reading for pleasure is vital for a child’s future.
Gaming, as with reading for pleasure, allows us to explore exciting new worlds and universes in our spare time, whether that be solo or with friends, family or colleagues. Raise funds by taking part in our timed gaming challenge to help us see more children, from all backgrounds, develop a life-long habit of reading for pleasure.
Stream for 5 hours for the 1 in 5 children who said that the book they ‘bought’ with their World Book Day book token had been the first book of their own. You don’t have to complete our timed challenge all in one go – split your 5 hours over a time frame that suits you, and remember to take regular breaks!
The funds you raise will help us to:
- Give every child a book of their own
- Encourage more children to read for pleasure
- Reach children and families experiencing inequality to support life-changing reading
How it works:
- Decide on which game you want to play – why not try a speed-run or play a higher difficulty than usual? Will you be playing single player or as a squad?
- Set a date and time for your challenge before 26 March – evenings and weekends are best so that your friends, family and colleagues can join the stream!
- Create your fundraising page on JustGiving by clicking the “start fundraising” button on our World Book Day 2023 campaign and selecting “gaming”
- Shout about your timed challenge and promote your JustGiving page on social media using #GameOnForWBD – tag us on @WorldBookDayUK (Twitter, FB) and @worldbookdaysocial (Instagram)
- Game On for World Book Day! Stream your timed challenge and have a link for viewers to donate via your JustGiving page. Why not make it more fun and dress up as your favourite character?
You can choose any game you want to play for your timed challenge, but here are some of our favourites from the World Book Day team:
- Animal Crossing
Don’t forget to tag us in your social media posts by using #GameOnForWBD
Download assets for promoting #GameOnForWBD across your JustGiving and social channels:
Twitter and Facebook graphic