It wouldn’t be World Book Day without ‘National Book Tokens’ DESIGN A BOOK TOKEN competition, the annual nationwide contest which encourages children of all ages to share their creativity – and their love for books and reading – by designing their own fabulous gift cards!
The winning entrants, their schools and their teachers can bag HUNDREDS of pounds worth of National Book Tokens – just imagine all those beautiful new books for your school’s bookshelves… plus, ONE OVERALL WINNER will be able to give a £10/€10 National Book Token to every child in their class, featuring their winning design!
To take part, simply download the gift card template and get your child to design a brand new National Book Tokens gift card – something that would really jump out at booklovers from the till point of their favourite bookshop. A panel of judges will select a winner and runner-up in each of three age categories: up to 8 years, 9-12 years and 13-16 years.
FIRST PRIZE in each age range wins:
- £250/€280 National Book Tokens for the school
- £100/€110 National Book Tokens for the child
- £100/€110 National Book Tokens for the teacher*
SECOND PRIZE in each age range wins:
- £150/€170 National Book Tokens for the school
- £50 /€60 National Book Tokens for the child
- £50 /€60 National Book Tokens for the teacher*
ONE OVERALL WINNER will win a £10/€10 National Book Token for every child in their class**, featuring their winning design.
(*If the entry is submitted by a teacher)
(**Up to 35 gift cards; see terms and conditions for home-schooled students)
HOW TO ENTER
All entries should be produced on A4 paper using the template. Please ensure you provide the child’s name and age, and your contact details, on the second page of the form.
Please send entries to:
World Book Day Design a National Book Token Competition,
Book Tokens Ltd.,
6 Bell Yard,
London WC2A 2JR
As well as teachers, the competition is open to home-schooled children and, if you’re a parent or guardian, you’re welcome to submit your child’s entry individually. Take a look at our terms and conditions to find out more.
The closing date for entries Sunday 3rd April 2022. Winners will be announced in May 2022.
TIPS FOR CREATING YOUR DESIGN
- Imagine your design is in a bookshop with lots of others – what will make it stand out?
- How can you make your design really booky?
- How many different ways can you interpret the words ‘books’, ‘reading’ or ‘story’?
- What sort of design would you like if you received a National Book Token to choose new books with?
- Remember not to confuse it with your £1/€1.50 World Book Day book token!
On your bookmarks, get set, draw!
LAST YEAR’S WINNERS AND RUNNERS-UP
Overall Winner: Maia, age 15
Thetford Grammar School, Thetford
Maia’s design was made into a real National Book Tokens gift card and is now available for sale in real bookshops around the country! The judges loved Maia’s creative digital art, which captures some of the fantastical adventures that stories can take us on. The design is also emblazoned with a term all booklovers can all relate to: ‘abibliophobia (uh-bib-li-uh-fo-bee-yuh). The fear of running out of things to read’. Congratulations, Maia!
WINNERS IN EACH CATEGORY
Up to 8 Years:
- Winner: Preksha, age 8, Presentation Junior School, Mullingar, Ireland
- Runner-up: Reagan, age 8, Invicta Primary School, London
- Winner: Juthika, age 12, Presentation Primary National School, Drogheda, Ireland
- Runner-up: Aasiyah, age 12, Madrasatul Imam Muhammad Zakariya School, Bolton
- Winner: Maia, age 15, Thetford Grammar School, Thetford
- Runner-up: Zahra, age 15, Camden School for Girls, London
ABOUT NATIONAL BOOK TOKENS
National Book Tokens have been inspiring booklovers since 1932. We work with our charity partners at World Book Day, Book Aid International and Read for Good – and through the thousands of people who give National Book Tokens as gifts and rewards to children and young adults each year – to encourage a lifelong love of reading among children everywhere.
Accepted in hundreds of bookshops across the UK and Ireland, and online with bookshops big and small, National Book Tokens are the perfect way to reward and inspire. Find out more.