An outstanding roster of British actors are set to feature in Sixteen South’s new animated children’s series Claude, which launches on Disney Junior in the UK this summer. The diverse and talented voice cast sees Simon Callow CBE, Anne Reid MBE, Shane Richie, Jane Horrocks, Su Pollard, Brian Murphy, Tameka Empson and Bhasker Patel sign up to the exciting, new production.
Based on the much-loved, best-selling series of books by Alex T. Smith, Claude follows the humorous adventures of a little beret-clad dog, Claude, and his faithful sidekick, Sir Bobblysock, in the cosmopolitan seaside resort of Pawhaven – home to an eccentric mix of larger-than-life-characters and colourful visitors.
The cast includes:
- Simon Callow CBE (Victoria & Abdul, The Man Who Invented Christmas, The Rebel) who plays raconteur sock, Sir Bobblysock
- Anne Reid MBE (Coronation Street, Dinnerladies, Last Tango in Halifax) is Dame Mumsie Turret
- Shane Richie (EastEnders) is lovable geezer and trader, Denzel Pedal
- Jane Horrocks (Ab Fab, Little Voice, Sunshine on Leith) plays both Highkick-Spinner dancer Kimberly and Claude’s owner, the very ‘Middle England’ Mrs Shinyshoes
- Su Pollard (Hi-De-Hi!, You Rang, M’Lord?) is glam ham actress Gloria Swoon
- Brian Murphy (George & Mildred) plays theatrical town baker Mr Lovelybuns
- Tameka Empson (EastEnders, 3 Non-Blondes) plays fun but fair policewoman PC Anne Cuffs
- Bhasker Patel (Emmerdale) is dithery cinema caretaker Gordon Flash
- Newcomer, 10-year-old Alexander Molony plays the eager and enthusiastic eponymous doggy hero, Claude
Simon Callow CBE said of his first ever role as a sock: “I just loved the character and the relationship between Claude and Sir Bobblysock. He’s very well written and the concept of the stories is very original. There’s a lovely innocence about the series, however it’s also odd and wacky. The characters are so vivid, funny and unexpected.”
Bestselling author-illustrator Alex T. Smith said: “I’m completely thrilled that Claude’s world is being brought to life by such an amazing group of actors. It’s a nervous moment, as an author, hearing the voices of characters who have lived in your head for over a decade but my every expectation has been surpassed. I’m so grateful to the creative teams at Sixteen South for bringing together such a wonderful Claude cast and to the actors themselves for their dedication and talent.”
The series has been devised for television and produced by Colin Williams, head written by Sara Daddy and directed by Tim Harper. Claude will air on Disney Junior in all countries throughout Europe, Middle East, Africa and Australia later this year.