Independent charity the Reading Agency is co-ordinating World Book Day activity in libraries, aiming to get every library authority involved in this major reading event.
As a key moment in the reading calendar, World Book Day will help to put libraries at centre stage, through offering a range of exciting activities and positive PR about libraries. This will show that libraries provide an irreplaceable hub for community reading experiences. World Book Day have also put a library joining message in the backs of most of the £1 books, helping to get children joining the library on and around World Book Day.
World Book Day in Libraries
There are all sorts of exciting things that libraries can get involved with on World Book Day. There will be a library membership drive, with library joining forms included in the schools packs to nurseries, primary and secondary schools. Or you can download a joining form here.
Working with Schools
Use World Book Day as an opportunity to build stronger partnerships with your local schools. A call for schools to take part in the ‘first time challenge’ of working with their local library has been included in the schools packs. The ‘first time challenge’ suggests that schools:
- Ensure that every single child is a member of their local library
- Take their groups on a library visit
- Set up a Chatterbooks reading group
- Book a librarian to talk about 2014′s Summer Reading Challenge
- Encourage secondary school students to find out about volunteering opportunities at libraries, such as supporting younger children doing 2014′s Summer Reading Challenge
- Get young people with literacy needs to complete the Six Book Challenge
Not only can you use the World Book Day materials to promote the day itself, but you can harness the momentum of World Book Day to promote your library in general.
Free World Book Day posters will be sent to every library authority. The events poster includes space for you to advertise any special events you have planned on or around World Book Day.
- Download the £1 books poster here
- Download the World Book Day fest events poster here
- Download the £1 books for young adults poster here
Schools’ Resource Packs
Our resource packs for nurseries and pre-schools, primaries and secondary schools are packed with information about this year’s campaign. You can view, print and share them online here.
We have a host of printable resources including colouring sheets, quizzes, crafts, puzzles and activities that may be used for events in your library. Find out what’s available here.
Branding and PR
If you’re creating your own promotional materials you can find this year’s World Book Day branding here.